(Denver, Colo., August 24, 2012) - John Moye Hall was officially dedicated on the campus of the University of Denver on August 23. The building is the new home of the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System (IAALS), a national, independent research center dedicated to continuous improvement of the process and culture of the of the civil justice system.
The dedication honors the contribution of legendary attorney, John Moye, founder and current senior partner at the Denver law firm Moye White LLP. Moye was a founder of IAALS and his name already adorns the faculty library on the fourth floor of the University’s Sturm College of Law in recognition of his contribution as a tenured professor and associate dean of the law school.
Former Colorado Supreme Court Justice and current IAALS Executive Director, Rebecca Love Kourlis and other dignitaries paid tribute to Moye at the dedication ceremony, ribbon cutting and reception on the grounds outside John Moye Hall. “If you’re planning on changing the world, include John in your small group of thoughtful people,” said Kourlis in her address.
Moye White Managing Partner, Jim Burghardt, said, “John exemplifies service. His countless contributions to our city, our state and the legal community leave all of us who know him in awe. Naming IAALS’s new home for John is a wonderful tribute and I know I speak for all his colleagues and friends at Moye White when I say that we couldn’t be more proud.”
Moye accepted the accolades with his usual modesty and gracious good humor and thanked everyone who had chosen to honor him, including his long-time law partner, Trish Nagel and her husband Ralph, who together made a significant financial contribution to the project, and whose idea it was to name the building John Moye Hall. As a University trustee, Ralph Nagel was also instrumental in overseeing the development and successful implementation of the project.
“The generosity of the people who have donated in my name is just flabbergasting,” said Moye. “It is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me, it truly is wonderful.”
John Moye career highlights and honors:
- Served with distinction as president of the Colorado Bar Association, 2002-2003
- Winner of the Colorado Bar Association’s highest accolade, the Award of Merit, 2005
- Co-founder of IAALS where he is currently a member of the Executive Committee
- Served on the faculty of University of Denver College of Law, where he also served as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
- Awarded an honorary Doctorate in Law from the University of Denver for his commitment to legal education
- Lectures and teaches extensively throughout the United States in the areas of contracts, corporate, commercial, banking and partnership law
- Author of several books, including legal texts on corporations, business organizations, partnerships, federal jurisdiction and the Uniform Commercial Code
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Colorado Historical Foundation. In his position as chairman, John negotiated and mediated differing views among the Supreme Court and the Colorado History Society concerning the building of the new History Colorado Museum.
- Chairman of the Board Stapleton Development Corporation: instrumental in converting an abandoned airport into a modern planned neighborhood
- Director, Colorado Public Radio, Inc.
- Director, Denver Botanic Gardens. As director, John designed and structured a governance policy for the Botanic Gardens Board of Trustees
- Member, The Colorado Forum. This is a nonpartisan group of business and professional leaders throughout the state dealing with issues that face Colorado (Transportation, Education, etc.)
- Winner of Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year from both the Denver and Colorado Bar Associations in the 1980s
About Moye White LLP
Moye White is a Denver-based business law firm serving clients throughout the United States and internationally. The firm provides legal representation across a wide variety of transactional and litigation matters, offering strategic, business-oriented counsel to public, private, and governmental clients in complex business and real estate transactions and disputes. As one of the first Denver law firms to achieve B Corp certification, Moye White meets rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. For more information, please visit moyewhite.com or contact Managing Partner Thomas List at 303-292-2900 or