Scott works with clients to identify, manage, insure, and transfer risks in the insurance, media and entertainment, private equity, real estate, and construction industries. Where risk cannot be avoided, Scott is an experienced trial attorney that represents his clients in trials and arbitrations.
Scott co-founded the firm’s Insurance Coverage and Recovery Group, where he focuses on counseling clients regarding risk management, risk transfer, insurance procurement, coverage issues, and related litigation. Starting his career defending insurance companies against claims of bad faith in Colorado state and federal courts, Scott developed strong evaluation, strategic planning, and trial execution skills that serve as a solid foundation for his current practice.
Scott is a Certified Information Protection Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) which is a global training and certification organization in the area of data privacy and cybersecurity law. Scott is also pursuing graduate studies in the area of Cybersecurity Management. His risk management experience includes counseling his clients regarding emerging executive risks, including cybersecurity and data privacy as well as risks related to fiduciary duties and business judgment.
Throughout his career, Scott has counseled:
- Businesses regarding insurance program development and review
- Policyholders in disputes with insurance carriers
- Insurance carriers in disputes with policyholders
- Directors in disputes relating to business judgment and fiduciary duties
- Business owners in disputes with other partners and members including derivative actions
- Members in disputes with other members of limited liability companies
- Asset purchasers in disputes relating to alleged violation of the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act and successor liability
- Owners, developers, and construction professionals regarding commercial construction projects including contract review, contract drafting, insurance programs, and contract administration.
- Landlords and tenants in commercial lease disputes and eviction matters throughout Colorado.
During his free time, Scott plays ice hockey with his team the Denver Crush and at various charity events. Scott also enjoys competing in triathlons and cheering on the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
“Construction Insurance: Common Pitfalls and Best Practices”
National Business Institute CLE, May 8, 2019
“Watch Out for the C-Suite: Soft Spots in Your D&O Coverage”
RIMS 2019 Annual Conference and Exhibition, May 1, 2019