Tanner is a trial lawyer who focuses on complex civil litigation. In this capacity, Tanner regularly represents large corporations and small businesses in employment cases, class actions, contract disputes, premises liability cases, subrogation matters, business torts, trade secret actions, and consumer claims of all kinds. He has also represented clients on large employment class actions and multi-district pharmaceutical litigation pending in federal courts as well as statewide coordinated proceedings across the country. Additionally, Tanner has defended professional liability claims and represented physicians and attorneys in regulatory and disciplinary matters.
Tanner’s versatility as a trial lawyer and breadth of experience provides a unique background that informs his approach to every case and trial, as well as his role as a trusted advisor to his clients.
In 2018, Tanner was invited to join the teaching faculty of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), where he regularly teaches trial skills to NITA students. He is a frequent lecturer and speaker on the role of trial lawyers in sustaining the legal profession through leadership and mentorship on behalf of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the Colorado Supreme Court’s Attorney Mentor Program (CAMP), and the Colorado Defense Lawyers Association. He has also presented on issues related to legal malpractice at seminars and continuing legal education courses.
Tanner also devotes his time to professional organizations and local charities through his involvement with the Colorado Poverty Law Project and represents indigent clients pro bono in housing-related matters, helping at-risk individuals and families stay in their homes.
Prior to joining Moye White, Tanner gained experience as a partner and trial attorney at a national business firm serving Fortune 500 companies and entrepreneurs. There, he represented large corporations and small businesses in class actions, contract disputes, premises liability cases, business tort, personal injury, and more.
When he is not in the office, Tanner is either on his bike or snowboarding somewhere in the mountains of Colorado. He lives in Denver with his wife Alicia and their dog, Murphy.
- Lead trial attorney on breach of contract action for real estate holding company and individual owners against cabinet manufacturer, resulting in judgment for client. Bench trial, Denver Dist. Court, 2021.
- Lead trial attorney on multiple arbitrations across the United States resulting from wage and hour class action lawsuit filed against national fast-casual restaurant chain. Every arbitration tried by Tanner resulted in a decision for the restaurant client. JAMS Arbitrations, Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC, 2019-2020.
- Co-lead trial counsel for medical and commercial real estate brokerage in breach of contract, theft of trade secret, and reverse veil-piercing case. Trial resulted in six-figure judgment for client. Bench trial, Denver Dist. Court, 2018.
- Lead trial counsel for national food brand and manufacturer in jury trial for indemnification with bifurcated bench trial on damages. Trial resulted in jury verdict for client, and Court awarded more than $300,000 in attorney fees and costs. Denver Dist. Court, Colorado, 2017
- Co-lead trial counsel for national mortgage loan servicer and property preservation companies in seven-day jury trial on claims of negligence, respondeat superior, fraud, and civil theft. Jury trial, El Paso County, Colorado, 2016.
- Served as co-lead trial counsel for defense in five-day jury trial where plaintiffs requested $500,000 in damages at trial. Jury trial resulted in a defense verdict for client. Jury trial, Fremont County, Colorado, 2015.
- Obtained summary judgment for international pharmaceutical company for lack of causation involving diabetes medication and allegations of heart-related injuries. U.S. Dist. Court of Colorado, 2014.
- Represented international medical device manufacturer in personal injury suit involving product liability claim on medical device and medical malpractice resulting in dismissal of product liability claims against client following motion for summary judgment; case against co-defendant settled. El Paso County, Colorado, 2013.
- Served as second chair for defense in jury trial for legal malpractice case where plaintiffs requested $1.5 million in damages at trial. Jury trial resulted in a defense verdict for client-attorney. Jury trial, Denver, Colorado, 2012.
- Served as second chair for defense in jury trial for medical malpractice case resulting from abdominal surgery and placement of synthetic mesh. Case resulted in a directed verdict for the client-physician. Jury trial, Adams County, Colorado, 2011.
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
“Enhance Creative Thinking Among Leadership Team”
DRI Leadership Conference, January 2020
“CAMP Pilot Project – Co-Counseling Civil Jury Trials”
CDLA Annual Conference, July 2016
National Mentoring Conference, May 2016
“Do’s and Don’ts of Legal Malpractice”
CDLA CLE, December 2012