Crafting Growth for Brewers, Distillers
Moye White’s attorneys understand the challenges facing today’s breweries and distilleries -- and the companies that support them up and down the supply chain. We help manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, and producers in this burgeoning, highly competitive industry to establish, grow, and strengthen their businesses.
We act as your trusted advisor and handle complex industry regulations while you focus on your passion. Our Brewing and Distilling Practice Group consists of seasoned professionals experienced in licensing and permitting, corporate selection and formation, raising capital, real estate, construction, intellectual property, litigation, distribution, tax, employment, and bankruptcy.
We serve as outside general counsel to businesses, providing legal services as needed, including:
Licensing and Permitting
- Local, state, and federal licensing for manufacturing, distribution, and sales
- Brewery vs. brew pub
- COLA (labeling) authorization
- Interstate distribution
- TTB compliance
- Special events, including festivals and tastings
Corporate Selection and Formation
- Determination of proper entity (e.g., S-Corp vs. Limited Liability Company)
- Draft articles of incorporation, operating agreements, and bylaws
- Assist in mergers and acquisitions and other significant corporate structure events
Raising Capital and Securities
- Navigate the pitfalls that surround raising capital from investors, including family, friends, and accredited investors
- SBA and Equipment Financing
- Purchase and leasing of property, including analysis of relevant brewing and distilling issues such as noise, odor, and nuisance regulations
- Protect your brand
- Ensure that your trademarks, product names, and recipes are protected
- Enforce your intellectual property trademarks, copyright, and patents
- Navigate the lien process
- The assertion of claims in which construction work was done improperly and needs to be repaired
- Assist with claims of delay in the construction process
- Advise on employment matters, including negotiation, contract drafting and review, disability and accommodation, trade secrets, workplace safety, and discrimination
- Navigate the complicated issues involving corporate and LLC taxation
Legal Flight Program
Exclusive for Colorado Brewers Guild Members
Do you have an issue that is constantly in the back of your mind? You know you need to address it, but you haven’t had time. The Legal Flight Program is designed to provide you guidance and the peace of mind on whatever issues you are facing. Sit down with a beer (our treat) and we’ll help you navigate anything including lease agreements, employee issues, trademark matters, and beyond.
Connect with Craig Knobbe or Jessica Hunter for more information.
The Pint: Craft Beer Lawyers Podcast
The Pint is hosted by Billy Jones. Each episode explores the intricacies and challenges of owning and operating a brewery, distillery, winery, or brewpub. We’ll share our experiences, success stories, and lessons learned. Subscribe here for new episodes released monthly.
Publications, Articles, and Blogs
Trademarks on Tap: Filtering the World of Trademark Law for Brewers
Colorado Brewers Guild, May 2019
5 Common Mistakes: Legal Pitfalls for Brewing and Distilling Businesses
Regis University Applied Craft Brewing - Guest Lecture, April 2019
Jessica Hunter and Craig Knobbe
Legal Aspects of Distribution
Second Annual Colorado Craft Brewers Summit, November 2018
||Moye White is a proud partner of the Colorado Brewers Guild.